Monday, February 2, 2009

Odd Shots

So, over the weekend, I went to Bremerton and visited the Puget Sound Naval Ship Yard. Whilst there, we attended the decommissioning ceremony of the Kitty Hawk. I also took a few pictures of ships tht were also there. There is no where ner as many ships there as there were 10 years ago, but the ones that are there are bigger.

Four super carriers and an *EDIT* Oliver Hazard Perry class ship. I don't know which one it is, though. It may be the USS Sides.*EDIT* I was wrong. I should have recognized that this was NOT an Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate. This is a Cruiser. It appears to be of the Ticonderoga class, though I do not know which flight. I hope an observant reader will help me ID this ship! further research indicates it MAY be the USS Vincennes.

Click on the next photo nd you can see the bow of the USS Long Beach. CGN-9. Her superstructure has been stripped, but her hull remains.

The next is AS-39, the USS Emory S. Land. She is a submarine tender...active. I imagine there are a couple subs on the other side of her. Wish I had had the guts to wander down there, but the fear of encarceration due to curiosity was only slightly outweighed by my fear of my wife. So, I stuck to the path between our vehicle and Kitty Hawk.







No comments: