Friday, March 20, 2009

She lives! And Disaster!





OK, so Cora figured out a cool way to Google and showed me...which isn't saying much, since I apparently Google from the stone age. So, I tried a Google I have tried many times before. I Googled "C-133" then clicked on "more" and "blogs." Guess what I found! A very cool Blog that showed me that I should have been Googling "C-133" more these last 8 months (I did a lot of it before our AZ trip, but not so much after). I could have known something that I didn't before.


For instance, I was under the impression that the last active C-133 had flown for the last time in 2002. I discovered this morning, that if I had been more aware things, I might have seen something that will never be seen again. I could have been at McChord on August 28th, 2008, and seen the VERY LAST FLIGHT of a C-133. This Blog, Cargomasterraster, has lots of information about the C-133 that was used in Alaska. 61999. Apparently, and I have yet to fathom ALL the details, she was fixed up, authorized for one last trip, and flown from Alaska to Travis AFB. She will apparently become part of the collection at Travis. I am still awaiting the e-mail from the curator at the Travis Museum confirming this. Here are some photos from her landing and short stop over at McChord AFB. There are more photos on this blog.

The C-133 landed at McChord to refuel, then headed on to Travis. I SO wish I had been there.


On another note of regret, two US Navy ships collided. The USS Hartford (Submarine) and the USS New Orleans collided in the Strait of Hormuz. Apparently neither suffered severe damage. Still, it drove the price of an oil barrel up. here is the story.


Here is a photo of her on the ground at Travis. (Thanks to Mark at http://boeing377.googlepages.com/c133)


All in all, a good day...

2 comments:

firstfleet said...

I had the honor of participating in the McChord C-133 event. As a former C-133 navigator (1,837 hours) and author and publisher of the definitive history of the C-133, this was one last chance to see and,even better, to hear the airplane. I had hoped to be aboard on some leg of the flight, but FAA said "essential crew only."

The McChord stop (28 Aug to 30 Aug) was the most like the old time military operations of the events there, at Anchorage and at Travis. No big crowds, moved some cargo, worked the airplane. We got some excellent video, which will be combined with that from the two other locations and other material. The product will be at least a DVD and, possibly, a program suitable for History or Wings channnels.

The airplane, known in Alaska as N199AB and in the AF as 61999, will be restored to correct military markings and is part of the collection of the Travis Air Museum. So, if anyone is in that area, they will be able to see it.

Cal Taylor
The C-133 Project
http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/c133bcargomaster/home.html

Papa Hans said...

I'm glad you discovered us at CargomasterRaster. I'll post a cross-link to your blog.

Dick Hanson, C-133 Navigator, '62-'65, 1st ATS, Dover AFB, DE